When the weather outside is cold and wintery, there’s often nothing quite so comforting as a Shepherd’s Pie. However, winter is long and dark and there are so many shepherd’s pies that one can eat… so sometimes it calls for a little variation! In an attempt to create something a little different, I developed the following recipe.
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
400g turkey mince
mixed herbs (to taste)
4 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
cumin (to taste)
tomato puree (to taste)
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees (fan).
- Place the sweet potato in a pan of boiling water and leave until softened and ready to mash.
- Fry the onion until softened, add the mince and continue to fry until browned.
- Add the carrot and some mixed herbs and mix thoroughly. Place the mince mix into an ovenproof dish.
- Mash the sweet potato, adding some tomato puree and cumin to taste. The cumin shouldn’t be overpowering but should enhance the flavour.
- Put the sweet potato mash on top of the mince mix and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
We ate ours with broccoli. I imagine it would also work well with green beans. I made this as a complete experiment but both my boyfriend and myself loved it. I may add some dried apricot next time, but would have to balance this with some extra spice so that it doesn’t become too sweet. Enjoy, and let me know what your results are like!